Monday, October 19, 2009

Using my child as a billboard.

So far along this journey of carrying and eventually giving birth to a beautiful baby boy, I have received many different outfits and baby clothing items, for which I am very grateful. It makes me happy to see how excited people get over the fact that Travis and I are bringing a human being into this world that will, hopefully, become a well-rounded, well-educated individual with the ability to thoughtfully consider and discern truth for himself. Even if our gracious gift-bestowers don't go that far with their expectation for our youngling, I am happy to see that they are happy (as opposed to terrified) that we are becoming parents.

So far, among these gifted clothing items, we have received no smart-ass shirts or anything of the like. Which kind of surprises me. Normally, I would not advocate using my son as a billboard, but I'll admit, the temptation is there for a few select things. Most notably, the baby's t-shirt I found on some right-winger site which reads "I survived Roe v. Wade." I'm sure taking a kid out in public with such a shirt will offend some. Honestly, I don't particularly care if anyone is offended that I firmly believe that abortion is, at any stage, in all forms, and in every situation, an incredibly gruesome unwarranted slaughter of a child. My views on this are even stronger now that I'm experiencing pregnancy, and a "surprise" pregnancy at that. The question of putting such politically charged messages on my child isn't one that considers how offensive the message might be to some. For me it's just a matter of whether or not I think it appropriate to use a child (who can neither choose to wear such clothing, nor understand and choose whether to support my beliefs) as a display for my beliefs.

Like I said, using our son as a billboard is tempting for someone like me who enjoys being occasionally inflammatory, though I think I will refrain from doing so. I've come around to the way of thinking that although my views on different matters are very important to me, how does it help, for example, the millions of unborn being led to the slaughter every year out of inconvenience if I only alienate and enrage people with a smart-ass statement posted on my child's chest? I probably do more to help those children and the pro-life movement by peaceably explaining my views on this issue, and the same goes for any other issue.

Now...when it comes to this particular issue (as with some others), my views are most often greeted with an extreme intolerance. As in, I state simply my view, and am not allowed to expound upon why I take such views because I am interrupted with "I can't believe that! That is so wrong!" and similar backlash. I find the people that preach tolerance are oftentimes the most intolerant of any viewpoint with which they do not agree. Especially in matters of religion and politics.

But anyway....rabbit trail there...though I've seen some kick-ass baby clothes that well-express my views on different issues, I am choosing not to use my son as a billboard for my views. However, I cannot be held responsible for said child's clothing choices once he's old enough to understand the issues and choose such messages for himself. For now, I relegate my desires for snarky clothing items to the onesie featuring Richard from the Looking For Group comic. Because putting an undead warlock/mage psychopathic murderer on your baby's chest is SO much better. :-D

3 comments:

  1. I myself would avoid putting political statement on a child's clothes (no matter how cute a Dukakis '88 onesie would be), mainly because I, being one your preachers of tolerance, would kill my parents if I found out that in my early life they had made me parade around as an auxiliary bumper for something that I disagreed with. Mind you, I mainly disagree with my parents on only a few key issues (immigration, veal) but I at least like the illusion that my political beliefs were not founded by parents plastering me with Walter Mondale stickers.

    I do think, though, that children make very adorable ads for microbrewed beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, totally. Like I said, I'll let him decide to put on the political t-shirts himself. I think if you and Tara end up having kids one day, I'll find or MAKE your kid a onesie that says "My mom's boobs are full of B33r!" You know, gotta take the opportunity to mortify Tara whenever possible :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Tara plans on no kids, so it looks like I might have settle for second best with dogs with beer slogans on their rain ponchos. If I get an irish setter I might be able to pass it off as a son or daughter.

    ReplyDelete