Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Planning stuff

I was recently asked by a friend to divulge the details of cost for my wedding reception. I happily obliged, though I think I may have overloaded the poor soul with details. It made me contemplate event planning, and the planning my life has gone through lately in general.

I planned my first big event in college, helping along the way in one way or another with Campbell's hosting of the November IC for NCSL (if you dont know what that is, ask in comment and I'll explain). From there, I got elected Lieutenant Governor, and the task of planning our big shebang (Annual Session) fell to me. Prepared me for planning our wedding, something I did largely on my own. (At least for Session, I had Tara to come with me and hold stuff :-D). I love event planning. Gets the adrenaline going, getting into all the details and making everything just so. Finding the deals always makes my day too.

And then there's event planning for life. I find things like planning the logistics of moving, new jobs, a lot of the life changes scary but exciting to plan for. With the baby on the way, I've kind of gone into overdrive with it. Everything on my registry lists was carefully chosen after painstaking research, including the different brands and types of cloth diaper stuff we're going with. If I didn't put it on there, there's a reason for it (usually).

Now, I've come to a sort of stand-still. Life is entirely up in the air for me, with the job search and everything else. I want desperately to get on with life. To plan the nursery and put it together, to move or plan to move, to start my career in local government management. With everything on hold (to the point that I have no idea where I will wake up Christmas morning), I can't plan. I can't act on a plan. Right now, the plan is sit tight, waiting on job prospects and God knows what else. So I'm left with only the looming prospects of change. And change is something that scares the heck out of me. I get comfortable, what can I say? Try moving me out of North Carolina for instance. Will I do it? If I must. Will I whine about it the whole way until I get there and see that the rest of the country isn't so bad? You betcha. Unless Travis tries to move me to the Northeastern United States. That's grounds for divorce :-D.

Eh, for now though, I chill out with visions of what the plans will entail once I have a direction to put them in. And yes, this includes decorating a nursery.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to hear what you are planning for the nursery :) I wish I could come be your stuff holder because you are going to need one w/ the baby!

    ReplyDelete